Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Planning for the MOAD revamp


site's current look
The Plan

Before I set about looking to generate traffic, I need to have a solid product that I'm proud to promote. For me, the hallmark of a successful product is something that I myself would use. I'm proud to say that I do use my MotherOfAllDeals site to search for deals when I need to buy things, particularly electronics.

Though I do use my own site, I believe my interface is understating my site's utility. I need to revamp and redo the look and feel of the site.

Things I'd like to keep:
  1. The functionality that when you click a deal's title, it pops up the deal without reloading the whole page. A few year's ago, the only way I knew to do this was to hide parts of the page with CSS. Today, we can use Ajax.
  2. Showing the most recent deals from each deal's site. This way large deals sites with tons of daily deals won't overwhelm the homepage.
  3. The customized RSS - users can currently search and then save that search as an RSS feed. Awesome useful feature. Everyone that uses RSS loves it.

Things I'd like to add:
  1. Categories - browse and search by category
  2. Smarter sponsored links - detect keywords in each deal and show uninvasive relevant links
  3. Faster page loads - currently ALL deals on the page are loaded even though only the deal's titles are shown. Ajax should fix this by loading the deal on request.
  4. New logo - Needs to not suck like my current logo.
  5. Community moderation - using comments and ratings. Interactivity with the users is the definition of Web 2.0.

Ok, so I've answered what I want. Now I need to know how.

current logo
Currently, the site is running of a system that I wrote myself from scratch. I don't believe this is viable anymore. While it's cool and customizable to do it myself, there are simply too much functionality that I want to do it myself. MOAD's need far surpass the time I can invest. I need a CMS.

Taking from my own experiences, from experiences of friends and readings of other bloggers, I'm planning to use Joomla!. Joomla! is an award winning CMS splintered from Mambo. It has a really active community and from looking at a lot of their code and their forums, I can see security has been a priority.


No comments: